Saturday, September 8, 2012

Corn and Bacon Chowder



I am so ready for fall, I decided to rush it and make a chowder!  Also, my child has turned into a picky eater  - much to my dismay.  But, I really am not surprised.  I was a picky-eater as a child and her father is a really picky-eater. I decided to make this chowder with only ingredients that she would eat - and that is just what she is doing at the moment!  My picky-eater husband liked it, also!  Double-score!


This is what I put in my chowder:  bacon - about 10 slices chopped up and fried crispy,  1 Tbsp butter, 1 onion - small dice, 1 bell pepper - small dice, 4 small red potatoes - small dice, 1 1/2 cups corn, 2 handfuls of shredded cheese, 1 cup of half & half, salt to taste.


While cooking the bacon, prep your onion, bell pepper, and potatoes.  After you take your bacon out of the pot and drain it on paper towels, take the rest of the bacon fat out of the pot.


Add the butter to the pot you cooked the bacon in, when it melts, add the onion and bell pepper, cook until tender.


Add the potatoes and enough water to cover.  Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer.  Cook until potatoes are tender.


Add corn and mix well, bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes.


Turn the fire off and add a couple of handfuls of cheese, mix well to incorporate.  Then add your half and half.


Stir well and serve with bacon and a bit more cheese!


YUM!  This is a great chowder to please picky-eaters - and those who will eat all good things!

6 comments:

  1. Gosh darn it you've given me the "envie". Perfectly beautiful corn chowder with all the requirements - ahhh bacon... Looks fabulous Lea. Course we'd have to add some chopped jalapenos and a little hot sauce as garnish, but then again maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about adding jalapenos to my bowl - but held back to try it the way the others were eating it - but when I eat left-overs - I will for sure!

      Delete
  2. I am not a picky eater, but this one sure turned my head. What is not to love? We had rain today so it feels like fall to me and this would be just the ticket to warm us up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine - it turned out really good - my daughter ate 3 bowls! - and half a hamburger - and she is 7! We have a front passing over us right now - I can't wait for cooler temps tomorrow!

      Delete