Sunday, June 3, 2012

Crab Dumplings


I am having another food jag and it is the delicious treat:  Crab Dumplings.  I enjoyed them at two of my favorite Asian restaurants and decided I needed to make my own.  They are actually quite easy to make.  Three simple ingredients in the stuffing and wonton wrappers.  They are usually served with a spicy plum sauce, but I couldn't find plum jelly or jam, so I substituted orange marmalade - which I thought would be a nice compliment to the crab dumpling's flavors.  I was correct!




These are the few simple ingredients:  for the dumplings - won ton wraps, crab, cream cheese, onion and salt to taste.  For the dipping sauce - Orange Marmalade and Sriracha sauce.




I used about 1/3 of the onion above and 1/3 of the package of crab.  I put them in a small food processor with a pinch of salt and pureed the mix.




I added about 1/3 block of cream cheese and blended the mixture until well combined.  This would be enough to make at least 20 dumplings!






Put about a 2/3 teaspoon of mix into a wonton wrapper, wet the edges to seal, and fold over into a triangle.  Fry in 350 F oil.  




Meanwhile, make the sauce:  about 2 Tablespoons of Orange Marmalade, 1 Tablespoon of Sriracha and 1 Tablespoon of water.




Blend until you have a smooth sauce (well as smooth as you can get with lumpy marmalade hehehehehehe).




Serve the crab dumplings with the sauce - dip and enjoy - but be careful - the insides are steaming hot!!!!





7 comments:

  1. I have had these too, but never thought to make them at home. So simple! What a great idea with the marmalade. Glad to see you up and about again. Hope you are doing better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are easy peasy! I am doing better - I discovered that gluten is not my issue - stress is - go figure - so I have been trying to de-stress! Good luck with that - eh?

      Delete
  2. Its always nice to find a fellow "bayou" blogger! Hi from Raceland! Love your recipes! If interested you can follow me @
    http://bonjour02.blogspot.com/

    Mona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy neighbor! Love your site - will be checking it out more closely later today! Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  3. Lea, these look fantastic and using orange marmalade is a brilliant idea. I want some...NOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. June, these are so darn easy - they would be great with your Kicky Kumquat Marmalade! That is what inspired me for the orange! - I'm thinking a Pink Mountain Friday - can be down with shrimp, too!

      Delete
  4. Hope the storm didn't cause you too much trouble.

    ReplyDelete