Thursday, April 12, 2012

Anasazi Beans and Ham


I love Anasazi Beans, which are heirloom beans from out West around Colorado.  My dear friend, Kristy, sent me some freshly processed beans last year and I still have some I decided to cook with my leftover ham from Easter.


First step is rehydrating the beans.  Either soak them overnight in cool water - which I didn't do because I just thought about cooking them this morning.  Or, boil them in a large pot of water for about an hour, drain, then cook - which I did.


Meanwhile, small dice a large onion and start to sauté it in some olive oil - about a tablespoon or two.  At this point you can start to add your spices to fry them up a bit.  I added the following:  1 Tbsp Cumin, 1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika, and 1 Tbsp Chile Powder. (If I would have had coriander, I would have used that, too.)


I also chopped up the ham in bit sized pieces and fried them up a bit, too.  The smell in the kitchen was heavenly!


I then added a can of Chopped Green Chiles and fried that up a bit, too.  Then I put the onion/ham/chile mixture in the crock pot and covered the mixture with water - after I added the can of Green Chile Enchilada Sauce.  I drained the beans - which had boiled for an hour, and added them to the crock pot.  I made sure the liquid totally covered all of the beans and ham and such.  


I diced up a few cloves of garlic and put that in the Crock Pot, also.


I covered the Crock Pot and made sure it was on High and let the mixture simmer for several hours - like 4.  


I added salt to taste and chopped fresh parsley, cilantro, and green onion for garnish to serve with fresh baked cornbread.  YUM!








4 comments:

  1. Oh Man, this looks delish! I have never seen Anasazi Beans...what do they taste like? What could be a substitute? Glad to see you using the slow cooker...hope that means you are staying off your feet. Don't mind the mothering. We have never met, but I still worry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorraine, they are creamy and earthy - kinda like pintos - but you can order these over the internet from the mill that processes them in Colorado - I will find that info and post here in a few! I am glad to the report that the leg is doing MUCH better - been staying off of it - as much as possible - and yes - I love the slow cooker for that very reason!!!!! - Thanks, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Lorraine on all counts! These look absolutely delicious but you knew I'd say that with green chiles and enchilada sauce. We'd be lovin' this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William loved it so much - he ate two servings!

      Delete