Thursday, March 1, 2012

Some Good Cornbread


I made some GF (gluten free) cornbread the other day - just trying a recipe I found on the internet - here when I googled gluten free cornbread - of course - I had altered the recipe - I always do...  And I was well pleased with the results.  My Dad was also, he told me it was just like cornbread my Moma used to make!  Score!  I made some more today to go with some meatloaf and boiled potatoes.  Here is how I made it:


Pre-heat the oven to 400 F.  First you need to get your dry ingredients together in a bowl.  1 cup multi-purpose flour


3/4 cup cornmeal


1/4 cup sugar


1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum


1 teaspoon salt


2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder


Next you need to get together your wet ingredients:  1 cup of milk (I used a mix of a bit of half and half and 1% milk); 2 eggs, scrambled; and 1/4 cup butter, melted.  Mix all of the wet ingredients together, then add them to the dry ingredients, that you have blended together.  


Mix the wet and dry together until just blended.  Do not over mix.


Coat the bottom of the container you will cook your cornbread in with butter.  Then pour in the batter and toss in your preheated 400 F oven for 25 - 30 minutes.


You can test the doneness by sticking a toothpick in it - if it comes out clean - the bread is done!  Another indication is when it is golden brown and delicious looking!


4 comments:

  1. Yum! Nuthin' better than a hunk a warm cornbread! You're doing GREAT working through the gluten free issue Lea. I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , my buddy! This recipe really does taste and have the texture of regular cornbread - it is amazing! I had a hunk warmed up with scrambled eggs for BK this morning!!! Yum!

      Delete
  2. It is so great that there are products out there for people who have trouble with gluten, especially when you want some good cornbread. I will take mine with a bit of honey butter thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, some good honey butter would be fabulous with this!

      Delete