Monday, August 22, 2011

Eggplant and Pork with Hot Garlic Sauce


Food Jag - I have a food jag - for Eggplant and Pork with Hot Garlic Sauce.  Just can't stop eating it - so I had to start making it.  Luckily for me - it is eggplant season and my Uncle Clair planted lots of eggplants and he likes to share!  And since I am making it AGAIN - I figured I would blog about it.


So here are my ingredients.  I have to immediately start with a disclaimer - this dish does not contain yellow onions - I sure as heck don't know how that onion just appeared in this photo or what I was thinking - but ignore it - OK?  I'll give the rest of the quantities as we go along - I cut my left middle finger when I was chopping the eggplant and this typing is hurting something awful.



For the prep:  I dissolved 1 heaping teaspoon of chicken base in a cup and a half of hot water.


I added 1/2 cup of low-sodium soy sauce.


I added 1 teaspoon of toasted sesame oil.



I then added a tablespoon of agave nectar and stirred the mixture up and set it aside for a while.



I sliced the pork into thin strips and dusted them with cornstarch.  



This adds a bit of crispy goodness to the pork and helps to thicken the sauce.



I grated about a teaspoon of ginger from a rizone I keep in the freezer.


Now, for the garlic - gotta have a lot of garlic for Hot Garlic Sauce!






I minced the garlic fine.  Time to move on to the eggplant!






I like to peel my eggplant, it is a personal preference.  Some people like the skin - I don't.






I also like to sprinkle salt on my eggplant to draw out the bitterness.  I let it sit for about 30 minutes - then rinse off the salt really quickly - don't want the dish too salty!






I make my own hot pepper oil by adding red pepper flakes to olive oil and heating the mixture for about 5 minutes on a low temp on the stove.  The red pepper flakes settle on the bottom and I just use the picante oil.  I added about 2 tablespoons of my hot pepper oil to my wok and heated the wok on high.




Add the cornstarch dusted pork and stir fry.






My pork was spattering oil at me, so I used a handy-dandy screen!  Work smarter - not harder!  






When the pork is nicely browned, remove to a bowl, reserving the extra oil in the wok.




Add the eggplant and stir fry until brown and scrumptious.  







Add the garlic and ginger and stir fry for about 20 seconds, then add the pork and the 2 cups of liquid mixture.




Simmer until the eggplant is tender and the sauce has thickened to your desired consistency.  Taste for seasoning - adjust as necessary.  




Cook a pot of white rice and garnish with green onion.  Enjoy!













7 comments:

  1. I want some of this now - I mean right now at 7:56 AM. I'm stinkin' hungry and this looks absolutely incredibly delicious! Thanks Lea. I'm going to give this one a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - I love your new look! Beautiful, fresh, and happy, it suits you to a "T"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks June! First of all, This dish is so good it is worth having several different times in a couple of weeks - hehehehe.

    Secondly, I think William is rubbing off on my - he is forever moving the furniture around the different rooms - just like his mother & sister do in Colombia HA - I just felt the need for a bright, fresh change - I am glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lea,
    Just stopping by for a visit and spotted this recipe...I will give it a try, sounds better than my verson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by Lorraine, I hope you enjoy my version as much as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should try spelling correctly the next time I comment :)

    ReplyDelete