Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Pâté de Foie Facile de Carol (Carol’s Easy Liver Pâté)



You know what – every once in a while – I just have to make a Pâté!  When I was in culinary school, I was introduced to the wonderful world of Garde Manger by my most fabulous instructor Carol A. Silkes.  I learned the most wonderful culinary things from Carol!  One of the things she taught me was the recipe for this “Easy Pâté”.  She said this Pâté was so easy – we would remember it for the rest of our lives.  I am not sure about the rest of my classmates – but – she will be pleased to know that I sure do!  I never wrote it down – but I am darn sure I remember it exactly!  Of course,  I made one slight change to her recipe – I always have to change something! 

IMG_2881

The ingredients:  1 lb. chicken livers, 2 medium onions, 3 stalks celery, fresh thyme, salt to taste, 1 lb. butter (at room temperature), Craisins, sherry or port.

IMG_2882

Wash and drain livers.  Rough chop onions and celery. Put livers, onions, celery, thyme, a bit of salt in a big pot and fill with a lot of water.  Put on the stove and boil for an hour.  Skim the foam off the top that forms.  After an hour or so, drain the mixture in a colander and fish out the thyme stems – you really don’t want those in your Pâté!

IMG_2894

OK – several days before I made this – I soaked the entire bag of Craisins in sherry to cover.  According to Carol, she discards the excess sherry or port.  I just add it to the Pâté – that is how I changed the recipe – just call me a lush hehehehe.  Notice that I am using a really small food processor.  This led me to getting a new large 14 cup Cuisinart food processor because the mixture got too cold and I had trouble incorporating the butter into the mixture as well as I would like… Oh well.  I won’t have that problem the next time. I put a bit of each component of the Pâté in the processor for each time I turn this baby on.  I purée the mixture until smooth.  I then stirred that mixture really well to make sure that was really well blended and portioned out into these really nifty containers I found on sale!

IMG_2895

The mixture is almost a liquid at this point.  Once you put it in the icebox, it will harden.  Store it in the icebox and it will be good for quite a while – what with all that alcohol and butter!  It really is easy – and trust me – delicious!


Don’t you just want to come hang out by the pool with me and have a snack?


No really – I think you will be converted if you just try it!  Thanks, Carol – you are the best!

3 comments:

  1. ooooh I love, love liver, I need to try this, so does it become like a spread that you eat over crackers. I imagine it to be the consistancy of potted meat, would that be right? I want some and think my HOBL (hunk of burning love) would like this as he loves liver but because he is a recovering alcoholic of many years, do you think I can substitute the sherry with anything else? I wonder if cooking sherry has no alcohol content and would do the same thing? Will have to look into this...
    Keep 'em coming nanan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK Lilly - here is the answer for you HOBL, Omit the alcohol all together. If you want - you can soak the Craisins in some sweetened fruit juice - just make sure it is sweetened and I would discard any that the fruit does not absorb. Cooking sherry has alcohol in it - it just has salt in it - so the cooks won't drink it! The consistance is less grainy than potted meat - more smooth - but it does spread - with all that butter! It will be fine without the alcohol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy - I've got the "envie". Think I'll be making the big guy happy with this on the weekend. He's gonna' love you Lea!

    ReplyDelete