Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Cajun Meat Pies

 

IMG_2623

 

I love meat pies.  All sorts of meat pies.  Those bland ones the Anglos make that I slather with hot sauce and salt.  Tasty pasties made by my dear friend, Stauna’s Dad in Butte, Montana!  Then there is the magical empanada!  I could go on and on and on about empanadas – and one day I will.  I think I will wait until I am in Colombia to do that.  Meat pies can be eaten as a snack or an appetizer or as an entrée.  Versatile thing – a meat pie is!

 

IMG_2609

 

Today, I will talk about my Cajun Meat Pies.  My Aunt Rowena was talking about meat pies the other day and that just gave me the “envie” for one.  “Envie” is Cajun French for “desire to eat”.    And when you get the envie for something – look out – you have to have it!  Since the removal of Pierre (and my gall-bladder) earlier this year, I try to avoid fried foods, and most meat pies readily found in these parts are at truck stops and are deep fried.  They are absolutely fabulous – without a doubt!  I just choose to enjoy my meat pies baked at this point in my life, and thus, I enjoy them more!

 

IMG_2488

 

This is all the good stuff I use to make my Cajun Meat Pies.  Some of these ingredients are expected to be included – like the blessed trinity of onion, celery and bell pepper.  But, including carrots in the pies?  Hey – if I can sneak vegetables into my meals I will!   Carrots also add a nice sweetness!  I like to use a ratio of 2/3 ground beef to 1/3 ground pork.  I had some extra green onions that were about to go bad, so I decided to chop them up and toss them in.  I used a head and a half of garlic.  I love Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce (hey – they spell my name correctly!), as do most Cajuns.  A good bit of salt is necessary to season the meat and I like a bit of cayenne – but not too much.  I like  to brown everything down in a big Magnalite pot  - or other heavy-bottom pot – and let the mixture cool down overnight in the icebox and make the pies the next day. 

 

IMG_2497

 

Ever saw this quick way of cutting up a bell pepper?  You cut off the bottom.  Then make four quick cuts on the sides.  Easy to do and little waste!

 

IMG_2492

 

I used my handy little food processor to chop up all of the vegetables really small so that they would disappear into the meat as the mixture cooked down.  I do not have a large processor at this time.  You know what – that is ok – this little wonder works just fine for me.  I really did not keep track of the quantities of everything in exact detail but I think I had:

8 lbs beef,  4 lbs pork,  8 onions, 6 stalks celery, 4 bell peppers (2 yellow, 2 orange), 1 1/2 head garlic, 8 green onions, 8 medium carrots, salt (about 3 Tablespoons - to taste) , cayenne (about 2 teaspoons -  to taste)  and Lea & Perrins (about 4 tablespoons - to taste).

 

On the subject of herbs and spices:  You can add whichever herbs and spices you would like.  I tend to be a person who is a minimalist.  I like things plain.  That is not saying I do not like things that are not flavorful.  I just like the flavor of the ingredients that are in this dish already and I do not think other flavors are needed.  If you like other flavors and would like to include them – please do so!  The choice is yours!  As a matter of fact – if my parsley had not gone to seed – I am sure I would have chopped some up and thrown some in prior to forming the pies!

 

 

IMG_2501


While I was cooking down the meat mixture, there was a great quantity of grease which formed in the pot - 6 cups to be exact.  Probably because I used beef that was 80% lean and not a higher % lean.  But, fat is where the flavor is.  Interesting how the orange bell peppers tint the fat orange – no?  I skimmed that out and discarded it as the meat and vegetables cooked down and browned.  I don’t know about you, but I don’t want that extra fat in my meat pies!

 

IMG_2571



I cooled down the meat mixture overnight in my icebox and then chopped some more green onion from my herb garden and added that to the meat mixture. 

 

IMG_2573

I am not one to make pie dough at this point in my life.  Who knows about next week?  Today I relied on the wonderful pre-packaged stuff. 

 

IMG_2578

 

I admit that I made this pie formation thing up as I went and my pies changed form over time.

 

IMG_2580

 

Some were small and some were large.  Some of the seals stayed stuck and some opened up.  I will have to experiment more over time and see what works best and get back to you on what I think is the best sealing method.  I am not sure at this moment to tell you the truth. 

 

IMG_2583

 

My, oh my, I need to clean my toaster oven!  In any case, I cooked up a couple of smaller pies for me and Aunt Rowena for lunch.  She also had some beef meat spaghetti my sister dropped off for my daughter and her to enjoy.  Not me, of course with my tomato allergy – oh well…  Aunt Rowena said she loved hers – and had no idea there were carrots in there!  I like that!  I made a total of 50 meat pies to freeze for me and my family. 

 

IMG_2625

 

I wrapped each one with plastic wrap. As you can see from this photo – the pies gradually became more round.  I then put them in large zip-lock bags for secure storage in the freezer – labeled of course with contents and the date!  I love my Cajun Meat Pies – try them – I think you will too!

 

IMG_2601

12 comments:

  1. These meat pies look fantastic! I can't believe how many you made! Wow. Great idea to freeze them. I'm bookmarking this recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your meat pies and especially love that they're baked and not deep fried. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son sent my daughter and I this recipe website and my daughter found your recipe and sent it back to us! We all can't wait to make it - I miss meatpies (live in the cold north now, while she is still in Florida, where I fell in love with the Cuben meatpie. I will try any kind that's healthy! Thanks so much for posting this - it's getting printed as we speak!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lea, these look amazing and I also love meat pies but don't like frying much anymore so I will be following this recipe soon. Look at the followers you have! So impressed. I made a chicken spaghetti today and just like every time I cook anything I love with tomato sauce I think of you and your tomato allergy and I shed a lil tear for you...Well maybe I don't cry but I eat a small second helping just for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pleasantly surprised to see this recipe today. I'm from Natchitoches, and as you know we take meat pies very seriously. Your recipe works for me although mine varies slightly. The comment I wanted to make is about shaping the pies. Most of the ladies in Natchitoches cut out circles of dough (saucer size) simply folding the enclosed meat inside a crescent shaped pie. Sealing the edges with water before crimping with a fork is helpful in keeping contents inside. I really like the idea of refrigerating overnight too! Some meat fillings can be a bit runny; in fact, some recipe's call for stirring in 1 Tbsp of flour at the end to thicken it. Your method would take care of that issue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. slbbw, I love Natchiitoches meat pies and eat them every chance I get! Thanks for the tips on how to form them!

    I try not to fry that much any more - less mess to clean for one thing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Cajun meat pies and these look fabulous. The big guy's gonna' want to visit you for sure now that you've got 50 of these in the freezer. I'm NOT going to tell him! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=pasty+central&d=4544840019478233&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=ffaf3681,29808bb6
    The pasty is the traditional pie from Upper Penninsula of Michigan. The above site contains recipes. I love my pastys to have stew meat, potatoes, onion, carrot and rutabegas or swedes. Served with either ketchup or brown gravy. Im thinking about adding seasoning with Tony Chauchere creole seasoning. Usually there just seasoned with salt and pepper

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do what slbbw does, only I thicken the meat drippings with cornstarch or flour. I live near Natchitoches, or however they spell that, but that doesn't make it authentic, because I'm German-Irish from Erie, Pa.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello there I am so delighted I found your website, I really found you by accident, while I was researching on Bing
    for something else, Nonetheless I am here now
    and would just like to say many thanks for a marvelous post and a all round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to go through it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the fantastic work.
    Here is my web-site - computer

    ReplyDelete
  11. Нeу Theгe. Ι found уouг blog using mѕn.
    Thiѕ is a very well written article. I'll be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I will certainly return.
    My site :: Isle of Wight Hotels

    ReplyDelete
  12. My spouse and I stumbled over here different page and thought I
    might as well check things out. I like what I see so
    now i'm following you. Look forward to looking into your web page repeatedly.
    Take a look at my page - Tablet

    ReplyDelete