Saturday, June 5, 2010

Gingerbread with Golden Raisins

IMG_2302

Today is National Gingerbread Day!!!!  I have never ventured to make gingerbread – but what the heck!  I was baking light wheat loaves for the next few days so I just kept on mixing up stuff!  I think gingerbread should have a nice mix of spices to it – not just ginger and cinnamon – even though those should be dominate – so I added more – to my taste. When you make your own gingerbread – and I hope you do – please adjust the spices to your taste!  Remember – a recipe is a guide!!!   And, I love raisins – so I added those.  And I am all into the health value of flax – so I added that!  I made 4 small loaves because I like to share the things I bake with the ones I love.  They came out extra yummy.  I will certainly make this again! – I am thinking when it gets cool in the fall will be really nice!

IMG_2285

The cast of characters:  2 1/2 cups un-bleached all-purpose flour, 2 Tablespoons Flax Seed Flour, 1 Cup Golden Raisins, 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda, 1 Teaspoon Salt, 2 Teaspoons Ground Ginger, 1/2 Teaspoon Ground cinnamon, 1/4 Teaspoon Jamaican Allspice, 1.4 Teaspoon Fresh Ground Nutmeg (important – get the whole nutmeg and grind it as you need it – completely different flavor – it actually tastes good!)  1/8 Teaspoon Ground Cloves, 1 Cup Molasses, 1 Yard Egg, 1/2 Cup Butter (Melted), 1 Cup Hot Water,  and 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar Packed (see below).

IMG_2286
Yep – forgot it in the original ingredient photo!  Silly me!  Preheat the oven at this time to 325° F.

IMG_2290
This is one of those baking recipes where you mix the dry stuff together in one bowl - like I did here.

IMG_2292
And the wet stuff together in another bowl together – like I did here.  Remember – the brown sugar is considered a wet ingredient!  You should mix the wet stuff together until the sugar is dissolved into the hot water and melted butter. 

IMG_2294

Then add the dry to the wet.  (My sweet husband is holding the mixer beater for me – he is so sweet!)  I love this beater with the scraper thingies on it – no need to stop and scrape down the sides while mixing!!!

IMG_2295

Mix well for 1 minute on medium speed.  The batter is really liquidy and that is just fine – don’t worry.   Beautiful color – isn’t it? 

IMG_2296

I have these 4 cute small loaf pans.  I decided to use them today for the first time.  I sprayed them with Pam so the gingerbread would not stick!

IMG_2298 
I used a measuring cup to fill the pans in an attempt to fill them evenly – wasn’t all that successful – but hey – I tried…  I like placing these little guys on a half sheet pan for easier handling.  Just one trip to the oven is all you will have to make instead of 2 or more. 

IMG_2300

The gingerbread is done when  you stick a tooth pick in the middle and it comes out clean.  This took over an hour in my oven…  about an hour and 8 minutes or so.  Please check your oven sooner!
IMG_2317

Good stuff – good day!  National Gingerbread Day – yippy!

2 comments:

  1. How could I miss National Gingerbread Day!

    Love all your add-ins in this recipe. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you this morning on "Tastespotting". Beautiful picture!
    Since I loooove gingy bread I just have to try your recipe. I like the idea of adding flax to the mix.

    ReplyDelete